What can a notary do for me?
Documents to be used overseas must typically be verified or witnessed by a person who will be recognised overseas. The 1961 Hague Apostille Convention created a system whereby Notaries are recognised throughout most of the world.
The main services of a notary include:
- witnessing signatures for documents to be used overseas,
- certifying copies of documents,
- certificates verifying registration of companies and their officers,
- in limited cases verifying qualifications and
- certifying copies of ships protests and other ship voyage papers.
Once you have had your documents notarised it may be necessary to take or send them to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for verification and an apostille by DFAT before the documents are sent overseas.
Most Australian documents to be used here do not need to be signed by a Notary Public and will usually be accepted if signed by a Solicitor which we are also able to help you with.
Where are you?
We are directly across the road from Brisbane City Hall at 79 Adelaide St Brisbane which is right in the heart of town in between the Queen St Mall and King George Square with the city bus station and ample parking at King George Square.
Do I need to book a time or just turn up?
Yes. A booking is required however most days we are usually able to accommodate bookings at short notice. All you need do is telephone us for an appointment or complete the booking request on this page and we will contact you to arrange an appointment.
What do I need?
- your passport and/or your driver’s License and any other forms of identification;
- if you have one, the letter of instruction from the person(s) requiring you to see a Notary;
- the originals of the documents to be certified, (if any);
- if documents are in a foreign language and a translation is required to be certified, the original translation; and
- unsigned copies of the documents which are to be witnessed.
How much does it cost?
Fees will depend upon how many documents need to be notarised. Fees typically start from $99 for the first three signatures and $11 for each signature thereafter however the more documents you have the better overall rate we are able to provide.
[contact-form-7 id="408" title="NotaryContact"]